Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year! I love the crisp, clear air and the intoxicating colors that take over the scenery. One of our favorite family activities is to head to the cider mill! We enjoy a lazy afternoon taking a hay ride, sampling fresh pressed cider, munching on sweet apples, and devouring fresh out of the oven doughnuts. We also love to spend time in the pumpkin patch, finding the perfect gourds to decorate our front porch with! It’s such a delight to watch the boys enjoy the outdoors and the cooler air after a hot and humid summer.
Part of autumn for me that is usually less fun is deep cleaning the house in preparation of winter. Much like spring cleaning, I like to go through our home and get ready for the months ahead! This is a great way to keep my sanity, since we’ll spend so much time indoors during the winter months. I like to get rid of items we’re not using anymore, plus organize and decorate all in one fell swoop!
Here are some of my tips for getting your home organized this fall:
- Wash the windows — inside and out!
- Vacuum, or if possible, wash your curtains.
- Dust or wash the walls.
- Cleaning all ceiling fixtures and lights.
- Vacuum and spot clean furniture.
- Wipe down kitchen and bathroom cupboards with wood oil.
- Clean out all kitchen appliances including dishwasher, stove, and fridge.
- Clean your carpets and floors. You could rent a machine to do it yourself, or hire a company.
- Change the batteries in your smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector.
- Replace your furnace filter. This would be a great time to also have a company check out your furnace to make sure it’s ready for it’s first use!
- Clean out your closets! Get rid of unwanted clothes. You could also switch items and place spring and summer clothes in storage to free up valuable closet space.
- After cleaning, you can sell your video games, CDs, or DVDs. It feels great to make some extra cash from items you don’t need anymore! Plus, the extra shelf and closet space is fantastic!
- Get out fall decorations! Get ready for fall, Halloween, and Thanksgiving now that your home is sparkling clean!
How do you prepare for fall in your home? What’s your favorite part of September and October?
This post may contain affiliate links.